Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Chinese Chicken Salad (Mindy)

One of my favorite meals my Mom made growing up was her Chinese chicken salad!  Amazing sesame dressing, check!  Cruchy ramen noodles on top, check!  Lots of sesame seeds, check!

So I thought I'd try to make a lighter version... not that my Mom's version was not healthy, I just wanted to create a version with less oil and sans the ramen noodles.  Ramen is after all basically just fried white flour and if you use the flavor pack talk about sodium overkill!!  I

Now I will freely admit that this is not half as good as my Mom's salad, but it's pretty yummy and I will be adding it to my meal rotation for sure!

Chinese Chicken Salad

Servings: 4

Ingredients:
- 1 pack of Trader Joes Broccoli Slaw (substitute cabbage if you like, equivalent to 4 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 lb chicken breast

Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 6 tablespoons rice vinegar (I used unseasoned, but I'm sure the regular would be ok too)
- 1-2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1-2 Tablespoons sesame seeds (I used 2T which I'm glad I did because those little buggers stuck to my dressing container so I probably only got about 1 T out of there)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- A few squirts of Sriracha sauce (add more if you want it to have more of a kick)

Directions:
1. Mix all of the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
2. Whatever your choice is of chicken preparation.  I boiled the chicken breasts for 20 minutes then let them cool in the refrigerator.  Once they are cool enough go ahead and shred the chicken breast.
3. Slice the bell pepper into small strips and stick it in the bowl with the broccoli slaw
4. Pour the dressing over the slaw mixture and mix well.
5. Add the chicken to the slaw mixture and mix again
6. Enjoy and make sure to throw a piece of bell pepper or chicken to the begging pup at your feet


And the finished plate before I dig in..........


Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 239 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories 
298
Calories from Fat 
110
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 
12.2g
19%
Saturated Fat 
1.9g
10%
Cholesterol 
87mg
29%
Sodium 
414mg
17%
Total Carbohydrates 
10.3g
3%
Dietary Fiber 
2.9g
12%
Sugars 
4.6g
Protein 
36.3g
Vitamin A 11%Vitamin C 131%
Calcium 10%Iron 13%
Nutrition Grade B+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment