Wednesday, July 4, 2012

87 Days (Jennie)



Alright- catching back up now! After getting home at 2am, we had to be out of the house shortly after 9am for our city's annual 4th of July parade. Our Girl Scout troop walked in it this morning. This is our second year as a troop and the parade is always so much fun. On the bright side, despite missing the morning workout, all that walking really helped to boost the step count for the day.

Breakfast
Not a good one this morning as we were rushing out the door on limited sleep- granola bar and coffee.

Lunch
Scrambled eggs (3) with a cup of fresh spinach, salsa, a little cheese and a quarter of an avocado (thanks to hubby for sharing!)

Dinner
Chicken enchiladas and fruit salad. My grill isn't working (*cry*), so my hopes of grilling something tasty were dashed for the evening. I love chicken enchiladas and decided to try a new recipe I found using a can of soup I had on hand and the left over chicken I made the other evening. The original recipe is from Betty Crocker and can be found here. I made a few minor alterations.


  • 1 can (18.5 oz) Progresso® Traditional Chicken and Cheese Enchilada Soup
  • 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
  • 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a cheddar blend I had on-hand)
  • 10- 6" corn tortillas (12 tortillas may have worked better here...)
  • 1 can diced green chiles
  • Combine soup and enchilada sauce, pour 1 cup into bottom of 9x13 baking dish. Lay out 6 tortillas edge to edge to form a tortilla layer, like making lasagna. Mix 1 cup of sauce mixture, 1 cup of shredded cheese, shredded chicken and chiles, add to top of tortillas. Top with remaining tortillas (I only had 4 left, but 6 would have made a nice even layer), top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350F and serve. According to the website, the total calories per serving is 490. Not too bad for enchiladas!

    I made an amazing fruit salad tonight, had to share. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, apple, Asian pear, mango, blueberries, grapes and cucumber (!). The last one I owe to hubby- he wanted to make sure we used it before it went bad. I just peeled it and the darn thing incorporates fairly well with all the other crunchy items.



    Fruit salad... yummy yummy!
    Dessert
    Okay... I did splurge on another macaron. Fortunately the kiddos are devouring the jello and our friends kept the rest of the key lime pie and half the remaining macarons, so the one I had tonight should be my last little splurge.

    Calories In: 1800
    Workout: A LOT of walking today!
    Calories Burned: 2500

    Happy 4th of July and a big THANK YOU to all who have fought for our great nation's independence!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment