Sunday, July 22, 2012

69 Days (Jennie)

Today was a self-imposed rest day. I realized last night that our air conditioner isn't working and it was 100F out today. Something about that heat just turns me into a lethargic sloth. As the temperature in the house climbed to 85, I just parked myself under the ceiling fan and tried to take in as much of the breeze from it as I could. Hopefully we'll get the repair company out this week, at very least I can look forward to spending the heat of the days next week in my air conditioned office building. One of the rare times I'll be looking forward to a Monday!

Food for the day
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs (2) with salsa and avocado, turkey bacon and a small plain homemade biscuit
Lunch: New smoothie- I'm going to call this one green celery smoothie
Afternoon snack: Grapes... nice and cold straight out of the fridge!
Dinner: Primal-friendly breaded chicken. The breading was made with coconut flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pound, dust with coconut flour mix and cook, about 4 minutes on each side. Very tasty, even the kids eat it without fuss. Served with mashed sweet potatoes (added a little coconut milk, cinnamon, cayenne and a touch of brown sugar) and some fresh strawberries.
Dessert: I was craving frozen yogurt (love the stuff!), so I made my own. I added about a cup and a half of Chobani nonfat plain Greek yogurt, a pound of frozen peaches and a little agave nectar to sweeten to taste, probably about 2 T or so. With the agave, the texture was pretty soft, so I let it sit in the freezer about an hour or so. All of us were fans, it really hit the spot.

Green celery smoothie!

green celery smoothie
I used the remainder of the fresh pineapple (that ripens fast!), 4 stalks of celery, 2 small apples, 2 cups spinach and just a little bit of the mango orange juice concentrate I've been slowly going through the past week. Because of the stringiness of the celery, if you don't have a high-powered blender (Blend-tec or Vitamix), I would probably juice it first, or maybe chop finely. Hubby and I were fans, my youngest daughter drank it with a little coaxing, but my oldest daughter wasn't much of a fan. She said she didn't like the "leaf" taste. I usually add spinach to whatever I make them, so I think she was objecting to the celery. It adds a different flavor, but it's this nice fresh taste. Just maybe not a favorite of the kiddos.

By the way, celery is full of vitamin K, which as I mentioned in yesterday's post, helps keep your bones strong. It's also been shown to limit neuron damage in the brain of patients with Alzheimer's disease.

Total calories in: 1625
Calories burned: 2000
Workout: rest day

No comments:

Post a Comment